We believe that education is much more than achieving outstanding academic results. We aim to draw upon the best elements of the CBSE Curriculum combined with the depth and range of subjects that are appropriate to a school with a holistic approach. A good education not only has to develop character and a sense of value, but must also strike a balance between the academic and non-academic areas. With this in mind, we aim to provide a wide range of extra-curricular activities to cater for the needs of all students. The curriculum is reviewed annually.
Aims and Objectives
The aim of our curriculum is to develop the understanding, knowledge and skills of each student so that they are able to meet the challenges that lie ahead of them in a rapidly changing and competitive world.
We intend to nurture students who are:
- Motivated and receptive to all aspects of school life
- Instill high quality learning skills and leadership qualities.
- Tolerant and caring.
- Intellectually curious.
- ICT capable
To meet these aims, the curriculum provides
- A clear rationale based on shared values. The courses, syllabus and activities promote challenge, enjoyment, progression and choice in learning for all students.
- The curriculum has breadth and balance across all subjects and within each of its various elements.
- Planning across the different phases of education so as to prepare students well.
- The curriculum is regularly reviewed and updated as part of the school’s self-evaluation process.<>/li>
- Cross–curricular themes are systematically and deliberately planned to ensure that students’ skills across a range of subjects are developed in meaningful and interesting contexts.
The Kindergarten Grades Play Group, Nursery, PP I and PP II
At this level, the curriculum is designed to give young students a broad exposure and to develop their learning skills.
In the KG’s assessment will be based on the day-to-day performance of the child. As children engage themselves in their day-to-day activities they are assessed formatively in Language, Numeracy, Physical – Gross and Motor, Personal, Social, Emotional and creative Domains.
A record of individual student attainment and progress is maintained through an on-going system of spaced oral and written activities and parents are regularly apprised of the same. Student progress is tracked on a regular basis.
Our focus in Preschool & Kindergarten is on:
- Visual & Listening skills
- Early language & reading skills
- Early mathematical skills
- Early manipulative skills
- The Gross & Fine motor skills
- Self-help skills
- Social & emotional developments
Young children perform better when given stimulating learning opportunities. We try to tap into the brain’s matchless potential at an early age. This is rendered by a trained and efficient teacher who is like a second mother to the child.
DPS gives an exciting all round education, which is the first step in transforming potentiality into reality. The individual personality of each and every student is honed and polished to achieve a socially and personally beneficial life. Our young people are mines of precious talent. They are complex beings with Physical, Psychological and Spiritual needs.
We at DPS have planned things in a perfect optimization in bringing out the best potentials of each and every student in the well planned manner. Understanding each element and structuring its fulfillment is our fundamental aim. Children need to be nurtured in an atmosphere of love and affection, which alone facilitates the harmonious development of young minds. We make them learn with great joy through play and provide recreational activities to channel the child’s exuberant energy and to kindle their thought
The Primary School – Grades I, II, III
DPS Primary School at DPS Chandanagar provides a balanced educational programme within a safe and stimulating environment, so that each child embarks on a physical, intellectual and social journey of curiosity and reasoning. We thus offers a comprehensive curriculum which is designed to make learning activity-based, experimental, and child-centric preparing every student for the global challenges. During these important years, the focus is both on the curriculum as well as the development of intricate skills like critical thinking, behaviour and attitude while developing independence and wisdom.
Student-friendly educational aids are used to promote self-learning and facilitate each child to study according to his or her interest and skill.
A variety of extra-curricular activities including visual and performing arts, music, yoga, physical education and inter-house competitions are a part of the school’s syllabus to complement formal learning.
The primary & middle school curriculum is designed to guide students in forming a truly universal outlook. It aims at developing a sense of wisdom for their welfare as well as that of others.
The curriculum for grades I to III is designed as per CBSE. This curriculum builds curiosity and a passion for learning in children. It provides a platform for all the children to exhibit their hidden talents and caliber. The school believes in the system of learning by doing. It is a stimulating and motivating way for students to learn. It strengthens their understanding of a concept by giving them practical, first-hand experience of the concept through various activities and projects.
The CBSE curriculum also lays special emphasis on the concept of life skill education. It aims to promote critical, analytical and creative thinking skills, effective communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills as well as information and media skills necessary for success in the 21st century.
In Grades I – III, the following subjects are studied:
Mathematics, English, Science and Social Studies / EVS, Moral science, Hindi, Computer Science, Physical Education, Art and Craft, and Dance. For senior classes activities like Gymnastics, Karate, Chess, etc. can be taken up.
The Life Skills program aims at the development of students’ life skills, through knowledge and understanding of the responsibilities of individuals and groups in the society. They learn skills that help them handle different situations independently.
The focus in different stages is different as given below:
CLASS I and III
- Reading writing and spoken language skills
- Basics of mathematics
- Understanding the world around them
- Letting them explore independently under guidance
- Helping them get used to disciplined, scheduled life
- Enabling the child to be confident during interactions
- Extra- curricular Activities go hand in hand with academics at our school so as to develop a wholesome personality rich in values, culture and tolerance, along with robust physical and mental capabilities.
- A whole range of extra-curricular activities are provided in order to support the development of students’ skills. The rationale being:
- To provide healthy extra-curricular activities so that students can have balanced development and performance in different aspects.
- To cultivate students’ interest in various activities so as to bring their potential into full play.
- To provide opportunities for students to organize activities and develop their leadership skills.
- To raise students’ social awareness and promote the spirit of serving others.
- To raise students’ sense of achievement and to foster a sense of belonging and responsibility to school and the community through extra- curricular activities.
Most of the traditional festivals and all the national festivals are celebrated in the school encompassing all religions. We believe India’s diversity must be lauded, understood and appreciated by one and all. This is a small step from our side towards lauding and strengthening India’s Cultural Diversity.
DPS Chandanagar believes in experiential learning. Educational visits, field trips, outdoor activities and camps give ample opportunity for the children to learn in a natural and practical environment. Students will also be taken to different industries, manufacturing units, research labs, hospitals etc to have the first-hand experience of the careers that they can think of. Students are also taken for overnight trips and camps.
Children are made aware of the truth of life arranging visits to the following places.
- Visits to the orphanage
- Visits to the old-age home
- Visit to a village
- Visit to a medical camp
- Understanding Agriculture etc.
This helps the child to understand the importance of the resources that he had and use them correctly. It also helps service mindedness and concern towards the needy.
We accept students with high levels of academic potential, regardless of any specific learning difficulty provided they are capable of fulfilling our high academic expectations.
However, some students have been diagnosed with dyslexia and similar conditions and some students need ad hoc support to overcome organizational problems. These students receive learning support either through direct contact with the learning support department on a regular basis or indirectly with the learning support department liaising with subject teachers.
Gifted and Talented – Teachers routinely try to stretch and challenge the most able in every lesson rather than have dedicated lessons for the most able.